Sunday, March 5, 2017

Just Call Me Busy Bee

Hello to all of the wonderful people in my life! I just realized that I (as usual) have not blogged in a long time, and unfortunately that is just the way it might have to be, because I am extremely busy this semester. Being busy is actually a good thing though because it keeps me distracted and that has been really great for my mental health.

Currently life is really testing me, but I also feel really happy. I am taking 17 units this semester (18 is the maximum) and my classes are German 201a (my 3rd semester), Italian 100b (2nd semester, for Spanish speakers), Spanish 310 (literary analysis), Spanish 430 (basically the history of Spain taught in Spanish), and an online nutrition class. So basically you could say I don't speak much English in class these days, but I absolutely love it. I'm also going to physical therapy a whopping five days a week and have about a bajillion hours of homework to do at any given moment. What is this "free time" people keep talking about? I've never heard of it.

Lately I've been trying to focus more on myself and the people I love, and I'm feeling very thankful for everything I have in life. Even though sometimes it feels like the world is crashing down around me, I am surrounded by some wonderful people, and I feel like I'm constantly making new friends.

I have been struggling a lot lately with figuring out which people are friendly to me because I'm me and which people are friendly because I'm in a wheelchair. I think a majority of people I come into contact with don't really think the wheelchair is a big deal. They know it's a part of me, but also that there is so much more to me than just that. Unfortunately, in my life there will always be some people who do pity me and make me feel different for being disabled. Sometimes it's accidental or with good intentions, but I would just like to make it clear, I don't need anyone's pity. My life doesn't suck because I'm disabled (Whoa, shocker!) and I actually I don't want to brag, but my life is pretty great in all. Yes, there are aspects of my life that are tough, but doesn't every person have problems in their life?

Speaking of problems, it feels like last semester was forever ago even though it was only a few months ago. Being able to move on and forgive people is a great thing. Wow I am so much happier with myself this semester. It's weird how life throws certain things in your path and you wonder if you'll ever be able to get past them, and then next thing you know you're realizing you survived and you are fine. It's really cool to see how these certain experiences help shape you as a person and help you learn.

I'm looking forward to seeing what things I will learn during the rest of this semester, especially because I've already been dealing with some very interesting experiences so far.

Hopefully the rest of this semester goes smoothly. I'll try to check in more often. Until then.

1 comment:

  1. Kimmie, you are beautiful and amazing since the first time I met you 6 years ago.
    Your journey has truly had its peeks and valleys, but your amazing ability to find the silver lining at your age and time in life is a true gift from God. He has blessed you with wisdom beyond your years, that will touch so many lives who are experiencing their own peaks and valleys. You give that burst of positivity to help them move forward.
    With love and prayers as you march on and up.
    Hugs Terry Arbogast

    ReplyDelete